Bethel College strives to provide safe facilities and a secure environment for all members of our campus community.
However, we recognize that emergencies may occur and the college must be prepared to respond appropriately.
In the event of a crisis situation, students may be notified via:
- Bethel e-mail
- Bethel website
- SMS (text)
Because of Bethel’s strong commitment to being a community of people who trust and respect each other, you can feel safe on the campus. Read the report on campus crime and fire statistics. However, this does not mean that reasonable safeguards should not be taken. All members of the community are encouraged to observe the following:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- If walking in less well lighted areas after dark, carry a flashlight or walk with a companion.
- Lock your door when you leave your room.
- Guard your keys; do not loan them to others.
- If anyone makes comments to you that make you feel uncomfortable or threatened in any way, say so and/or walk away. If anyone continues this behavior after you have asked them to stop, report it to any member of the student life staff.
- Inform your CA immediately of any acts that threaten the safety or security of the residence hall, or of the presence of persons who should not be in the building.
- Know the location of emergency telephones on campus. There are three Emergency Stations (with blue light feature) and five Red Metal Box Emergency Phones (for a total of eight emergency telephones on campus), each are set up to dial 911. Emergency Phones are located at the following locations:
- Three Emergency Stations: One on the walkway near the northeast corner of Haury Hall south of the Will Academic Center (WAC). One on the east side of the Fine Arts Center (FAC) parking lot between the Schultz Student Center and the FAC. One on the north side of Mantz Library on the north side of walkover bridge #2 on the path leading to the tennis courts and Goering Hall
- Red metal box at Warkentin Court on the east side of Mod 1A next to parking lot
- Red metal box at Haury Hall on the west wall just north of the front sidewalk
- Red metal box at the Schultz Student Center to the left of the front entrance
- Red metal box at Goering Hall on the west exterior wall
- Red metal box at the Fine Arts Center at the west entrance from the parking lot
|Police, fire or ambulance:||911|
|Campus building security:||316-284-5254|
|or Adam Akers||316-650-0137|
|Newton Medical Center:||316-283-2700|
|Prairie View Mental Health Center:||316-283-2400|
Bethel College is a primarily residential campus and does not typically cancel classes. Commuter students should use their judgment regarding their safety when traveling conditions become precarious, and contact their professors about rescheduling exams if necessary.
If there are cancellations or closures, an e-mail will be sent to the campus community. If electronic communications are disabled, the following stations will be provided with the information:
- KSNW, Channel 3
- KAKE, Channel 10
- KWCH, Channel 12