Cares Act funding information-->

Apply now Alumni | Give to BC | Athletics | Fine Arts | Moodle | Thresher Connect | Search

Student Life


May I see my room before the move-in date?

Yes and no (if that makes any sense). You can view diagrams of rooms on our website, and we encourage you to work with your admissions counselor to determine whether you will be able to see a particular room during your campus visit. During the academic year we are typically able to show a living space to provide prospective students with an idea of what to expect from a residence hall room. However, this may not be the room you will be assigned to when you arrive. We use the summer months to complete construction and renovation projects we cannot address during the year, while some halls house various summer camps and conference groups. After groups leave or construction is completed, our housekeeping staff needs time to prepare the halls for your arrival.

Who are Community Assistants?

A Community Assistant (CA) is a fellow student trained to help residents of a hall develop community. Each CA reports to a Coordinator, a professional, full-time, live-in staff member responsible for the management of a specific building or area. This includes community development and the training of student residential staff.

When can I move in?

Move-in typically occurs in mid- to late August. Check with your Admissions Counselor or the Office of Student Life for your specific date.

What furniture is provided in my room?

Each resident will have a bed, mattress, chest of drawers, closet/wardrobe, desk and chair.

Can I build my own loft bed?

You are welcome to build your own loft bed using the proper specifications. Bethel College primarily uses 75-inch mattresses.

Will I have a computer connection?

An Ethernet cable or wireless card is needed for your computer. Read more about the computer facilities and policies on campus.

Are bed lofts available?

Yes. CAs will help residents set up lofts the first couple weeks of school. Lofts are given out on a first come-first serve basis and are limited.

Are laundry facilities provided?

Washers and dryers are provided on each floor... and the machines are FREE to use!

Do I need to move out during breaks?

Residence halls will close for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break (please check with the Office of Student Life for specific dates). As a general rule, residence halls close at 6:00p the evening before break begins and open at 1:00p the day before classes resume. If you have concerns, please contact the Coordinator of Residence Life

When do I need to move out in May?

Non-graduating residents must check out by 6:00p on the Friday before Commencement. Graduating residents must check out by noon on the day after Commencement. If you have concerns, please contact the Coordinator of Residence Life.

What electrical appliances are allowed in rooms?

Mini-refrigerators, microwave ovens, and scentsy pots are allowed in student rooms. Please refer to the Bethel College Student Handbook for more detailed information.

What is the smoking policy in the residence halls?

No smoking is allowed in any Bethel College residence hall or campus building. Smoking is only permitted in the designated smoking areas.

Is air conditioning available?

Yes. Each room or area has an air conditioning unit controlled by the resident(s) or central air in the facility.

What do I need to connect to the Internet and Bethel Network?

You will need a computer (PC or Mac) with an Ethernet card and a standard Ethernet cable. Network ports — separate from the phone line — are available in every dorm room on campus, and a wireless network covers most buildings on campus. If you don’t own a computer, there are more than 30 computers on campus for student use. Read more about the computer facilities and policies on campus.

How are roommates selected?

Roommates will first be selected by each resident’s preference of whom s/he would like to have as a roommate. The roommate of choice must also specify this person as a roommate on her/his student life contract. If the resident has no preference, but still needs a roommate, the Residence Life and/or Admissions staff will assign a roommate based on factors of roommate compatibility which is determined via your Student Life Contract.

How many roommates will I have?

Most freshmen living in Haury Hall will have a roommate. Students may request a single occupancy room, but they are limited and have an additional cost. Upperclassmen may live in Voth Hall or Warkentin Court. Voth Hall is a suite-style building where four students share a bathroom. Warkentin Court is modular housing with up to nine students sharing a space.

Will I need to buy a meal plan?

Yes. All students residing on campus are required to have a meal plan.

How may I decorate my room?

You may decorate your room in any way you like as long as the decorations conform to community life standards and housing guidelines and do not damage any part of the room. You may not use nails, contact paper or any other type of adhesive except for white sticky tack or command strips. It is recommended you test any adhesive for potential damage to the paint.

How long are the beds? What kind of sheets will I need?

Beds in Voth Hall are extra-long twin size. You will need extra-long twin size sheets. Beds in Haury Hall and Warkentin Court are standard twin size. However, both Haury and Warkentin have a very limited supply of extra-long beds. Requests for these beds should be made with the Office of Student Life before arrival.

What should I bring?

If you are not sure what to bring, visit our suggestions page. To make move-in as smooth as possible, we ask that you consider what you will need for the first three months. Experience has shown that when students bring more than this, they end up taking most of it back home again. Also, we suggest that you try and pack items in small boxes to make fewer heavy boxes.

Are pets allowed?

No. Animals are only permitted in the residence halls as guide animals for the physically challenged. Fish, in a 10 gallon tank or smaller, are the only pets permitted.

What items are not permitted in the dorms?

Please do not bring any of these items: electric blankets or sheets, hot plates, sunlamps, candles, incense, toaster ovens, electric skillets, electric hotpots, George Foreman grills, space heaters, pets (other than fish), guns or weapons, fireworks, explosives, illegal drugs, waterbeds or water chairs.

Are the residence halls locked?

Voth is electronically locked after 5 PM, at which time all hall doors are locked as well. Residents of Voth have keys to come and go as they please. Haury Hall hallways doors are also locked with 24-hour access to the main lobby.

Must residents be in the halls at certain hours?

There are no set curfew hours in the residence halls. Students are expected to assume responsibility for their own schedules.

When will students find out their housing assignments?

Roommate assignments for new students will be mailed to home addresses beginning June 15th. This mailing will include the name, address and phone number of your roommate.

What do I do if I have roommate problems?

We encourage students to contact their Community Assistant, who will attempt to mediate and resolve problems. For parents: If you need to find out how the situation is being addressed or for additional information, you should contact the Coordinator of Residence Life.

Can freshmen have cars on campus?

Yes. All students are allowed to have cars on campus. Parking is free to all individuals but vehicles must be registered in the Office of Student Life

Is carpeting provided in residence hall rooms?

Carpeting is not provided in Haury or Voth Hall rooms. Students can bring their own area rug. Warkentin Court rooms are carpeted.

Mission Statement

Bethel College prepares students for meaningful lives of work and service through faith formation, the liberal arts, and practical experience in career pathways.