Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts
The Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts (BCAPA) was founded in 1996 when Bethel College, the Newton community and its neighbors acted on a need to provide increased opportunities for music instruction for students of all ages. The Academy of Music, including a Suzuki school for string instruction, opened its doors to 70 students. The name was changed to the Academy of Performing Arts when dance instruction was added in fall 2004.
BCAPA currently serves more than 250 students representing more than 200 families from Newton and the Wichita metropolitan area and Bethel and Hesston colleges. There are two locations for instruction: 400 S. Main Street in Newton and the Bethel College Luyken Fine Arts Center (FAC).
The Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts (BCAPA) enhances the quality of life in Newton and surrounding communities through expert, dedicated education in music, dance and the expressive arts. Catalyzing lifelong learning, BCAPA empowers students of all ages and levels of experience to derive meaning from personal and cooperative artistic expression. BCAPA provides unique performance opportunities in a nurturing, community-focused environment.
December Registration Hours
- Monday, December 14: 12–2:30 p.m. & 4–5:35 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 16: 1 p.m.–4:00 p.m. & 8–9 p.m.
- Thursday, December 17: 7:45–9 p.m.
- Saturday, December 19: 4–5:30 p.m.
- Monday, December 21: 11:30 a.m.– 2:30 p.m. & 4–9 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 22: 9–10:30 a.m. & 2–6 p.m.
- Monday, December 28: 11:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m. & 4–7 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 29: 9–10:30 a.m. & 2–9 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 30: 11:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m. & 4–7 p.m.
- Academy music lessons (located at 400 S. Main Street)
- Department of Suzuki Strings (located at 400 S. Main Street)
- Dance education (located at 400 S. Main Street)
BCAPA Policies and Information
Registration & Tuition
All students must officially register for their lessons and/or classes before attending them by filling out a registration form and returning it to BCAPA. Registration is for the length of the semester, not on a month by month basis. Tuition payments may be made monthly or for the full semester. There is a $12.50 family registration fee per semester. Tuition scholarships and work study jobs are available based on financial need. Please contact Danika Bielek at (316) 283-4902 for more information.
All tuition is due at the beginning of the month before classes and lessons are given. If tuition is more than a month late, the student may be suspended from lessons or classes until payment or arrangements are made.
Tuition payments can be dropped off at the Academy at 123 E. Broadway or mailed to:
400 S. Main Street
North Newton, KS 67117
Credit card payments can be done over the phone.
We take cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover Card.
Withdrawing Lessons & Classes
A 30-day written notice is required for early withdrawal from music lessons and dance classes.
It is difficult to credit tuition if a student drops their lessons or classes. BCAPA adheres to the schedule below:
- Withdrawal before classes begin Full refund minus the registration fee
- Withdrawal up to two weeks of classes
- Withdrawal up to two months of classes
- Withdrawal after two months
- No refund unless withdrawal is a result of an extenuating circumstances such as bereavement, medical conditions, or moving out of the area.
If a group class is missed by the student, payment is still required to remain in the class. If an individual music lesson is missed by the student, it is at the instructor’s discretion whether to reschedule or not. It is BCAPA policy for students to give a 24 hour notice prior to missing a private lesson unless it is an emergency. If a dance class is missed, please discuss with your instructor for make up opportunities.