September 11th, 2017
A TORNADO WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE BETHEL COLLEGE CAMPUS.
A “tornado watch” is issued when the atmosphere is favorable for the development of tornadoes.
A “tornado warning” is issued when a tornado has actually been sighted or spotted by radar within ten miles of the city limits of Newton and YOU SHOULD TAKE IMMEDIATE PRECAUTIONS!
What to do when a tornado siren sounds:
• Stay calm. Your response will reassure other residents.
• Take shelter in the center of the basements or if necessary, inner halls, janitor closets, showers, or bathrooms on first floors can be utilized.
• Stay away from windows and large roof spans.
• Sit on the floor, preferably with your head down to protect you from possible flying debris.
• Stay inside until a staff provides an all clear.
• Report any damage and/or injuries to Bethel College Residence Life/Student Life staff
Designated shelter areas for each building:
Haury Hall Basement hallways and basement lounge away from windows
Voth Hall Interior hallways away from windows
Warkentin Ct North and south basement laundry/rec room areas
Ad Building Ground floor interior walls, restrooms, or janitor closet
FAC Music wing, restrooms and rm 141
Franz Center Room 4 - welding area north wall
Goering Hall Basement hallway
KSC Lower level/basement hallway
Mantz/MLA Lower level restrooms and hallways
Mem Hall Basement hallways
SSC Restrooms and hallway
Thresher Gym West end restrooms or Mem Hall basement
WAC Lower level west hallway
Should we lose power, please remember that the use of candles in residence hall rooms is strictly prohibited.