The Human Services minor is designed to provide you with a practical understanding of the social welfare system and its impact on individuals and families.
The minor is intended to enhance a student’s primary major, especially those that lead to careers in human service fields – for example, pastoral ministry (see Bible and religion), including youth ministry or business – with an eye to working in the nonprofit world. It would provide excellent preparation if you intend to enter voluntary service or a paraprofessional position in a human service organization or agency. While the Human Services minor is not preparation for a specific profession, it provides you with skills and knowledge to serve clients in a variety of public outreach organizations.
An internship is required for this minor. Bethel students have completed internships at a variety of local agencies, including:
- Offender Victim Ministries, Newton
- Mirror Inc. (substance abuse treatment and counseling), Newton
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Harvey County
- United Methodist Youthville, Newton
- Harbor House (shelter for battered women), Wichita
- Prairie View Inc. (mental health services), Newton
- Area elementary schools (Communities in Schools, etc.)
- Hospice Care of Kansas, Wichita
- St. Francis Academy Children’s Services, Newton
You will need to complete an internship and demonstrate basic skills for work in a human services setting.
- Requirements for a minor in Human Services:
- 19 hours.