The Kansas Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (KIPCOR), an institute at Bethel College in North Newton, Kansas, invites applications for the position of Director of Education and Training. This position is focused on the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of all education and training courses, workshops, and educational programs offered by KIPCOR. However, it also includes some widely varied tasks that will incorporate third-party intervention work in interpersonal conflict, group/organizational conflict, and public policy consensus building. As with most small non-profit organizations, additional tasks related to social media management, scheduling logistics, networking, and miscellaneous office responsibilities may also be expected.
Specific assignments will be primarily from the Essential Functions detailed below, based upon the education and expertise of the person holding this position. This position will report to the director of KIPCOR, who will make specific job assignments. The successful applicant must be comfortable working with and advocating for an organization that focuses on peace, social justice, and conflict resolution. Additional information about KIPCOR may be found at www.kipcor.org.
The starting time for this position will be negotiated with the successful applicant, with a target date of the summer of 2021.
Affiliate: Kansas Institute for Peace & Conflict Resolution (KIPCOR)
Full-time [1.0 FTE], exempt, benefits-eligible
Specific tasks assigned to this position will be determined in part by the education and expertise of the person selected for this job. The following reflect essential functions or responsibilities from which primary job assignments would be made:
- Support the mission of the Kansas Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (KIPCOR)
- Provide primary leadership in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of all education and training courses, workshops, and programs offered by KIPCOR through Bethel College and also offered under the KIPCOR umbrella for state agencies, schools, faith communities, health care organizations, and other groups
- Serve as the primary liaison on academic content between KIPCOR and Bethel College
- Serve as the primary liaison on education and training issues between KIPCOR and the Kansas Supreme Court Office of Judicial Administration
- Serve as the primary liaison on restorative discipline issues between KIPCOR and the Kansas State Department of Education
- Be the primary responder to inquiries about training and educational options, both to Bethel students and others
- Be the primary interpreter for educational and training opportunities available at KIPCOR
- Provide direct intervention services in various KIPCOR programs
- Assist in other aspects of KIPCOR program and responsibilities as needed and determined by the supervisor
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to learn and adapt to changing work processes, including moving from in-person to remote work and back, as necessitated by institute policy, college policy, or as directed by the supervisor
- Satisfy the duties of a Mandated Reporter relating to Title IX and the Bethel College Equal Opportunity, Harassment, & Non-Discrimination Policy and Procedures
- Arrive on time for work, attend work regularly, and successfully complete the responsibilities of the position
- Comply with Bethel College policies and procedures
Supervises KIPCOR's Restorative Schools Initiative trainers and Bethel College student workers
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum Master's degree in conflict resolution or a related field, or a law degree, is required
- Significant specialized training in conflict resolution
- Experience as a mediator and/or as a group facilitator (may be partially substituted by other experience or education), is required
- Thorough knowledge of restorative justice and its applications
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Secure and maintain Kansas State Supreme Court approval as a mediator, mentor mediator, and mediation trainer, and fulfill all other state requirements necessary to permit KIPCOR to provide Kansas Supreme Court-approved trainings, workshops and practicums
- Maintain active membership in appropriate professional mediation associations
- Excellent public presentation skills
- Effective mediation of interpersonal conflicts
- Effective facilitation of group, organizational, and public conflicts
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to work under pressure and juggle multiple and sometimes competing tasks.
- Excellent written communication and editing skills
- Expertise and comfort in working with persons from a wide range of educational and cultural backgrounds
- Excellent interviewing techniques and skills
- Basic budget management
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in an office environment.
- Efficient use of Microsoft Office software
- Experience as the primary designer/developer of conflict resolution workshops or training courses
- Minimum of three years of direct experience working as a third-party intervener in conflict management/resolution/transformation situations
- Experience teaching at the secondary, collegiate, or adult education level
- Expertise in using electronic and social media to communicate with constituents and supporters and to interpret and market services and programs
- Developed an existing network with other mediators and facilitators, church and organizational leadership, and business and governmental personnel
- Cultural competence in facilitation and a commitment to anti-oppression educational frameworks and techniques
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The essential functions of the position require:
- Minimal lifting (up to 25 lbs.) and reaching
- Operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as telephone, calculator, copy machine, and printer for extended periods of time
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one classroom or building location to another.
- Ascending and descending stairs
- Ability to perform tasks both sitting and standing for extended periods of time
- Ability to function well in a standard office setting
- Medium/indoor work environment
Work Environment and Conditions
All the essential job functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and may change at the option of the (supervisor or department head). Any major change will result in the position being reviewed for reclassification.