The Admissions Counselor is responsible for outreach, recruitment and counseling of prospective students enrolling at Bethel College. Responsibilities include representing Bethel College at college fairs, high school visits, and other on and off campus activities. The Admissions Counselor will maintain communication with prospective students and families, review admissions applications, coordinate recruitment events, establish and foster relationships with high school counselors, and provide broad admissions, financial aid and academic advising services. In-state and out-of-state travel as well as the ability to work some evenings and weekends is required. The Admissions Counselor position is an on-campus, in-person staff role.
Admissions / Enrollment Management
Full-time [1.0 FTE]; hourly, non-exempt, benefits-eligible; in-person
- Support the mission, vision, and values of Bethel College.
- Plan, organize, and implement recruitment trips, college fair participation and other outreach activities.
- Maintains telephone, email, digital and written communication with prospective students and their parents.
- Encourage applications and completion of admissions and initial enrollment processes.
- Maintains communication with high school counselors, community college advisors, college-prep organizations, churches and community organizations.
- Be knowledgeable and confident about Bethel College programs and academic requirements.
- Provide informative and appropriate financial aid counseling regarding federal and state financial aid, institutional and private scholarship opportunities as appropriate.
- Assist in the coordination and promotion of special events related to Bethel College and the admissions process, including but not limited to visit days, financial aid nights, registration activities, student receptions, campus visits.
- Work with the Director of Admissions and team to meet recruitment territory goals.
- Evaluate recruitment strategies, activities, report outcomes and recommend improvements.
- Develop professional knowledge, and sales skills to increase effectiveness, participate in training sessions and planning meetings.
- Satisfy the duties of a Mandated Reporter relating to Title IX and the Bethel College Equal Opportunity, Harassment, & Non-Discrimination Policy and Procedures (as directed following the completion of basic employee training).
- Serves in other capacities as assigned by the Director of Admissions.
- Student counselor assistants, student ambassadors, student callers
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- One year of work-related experience.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong oral communication skills
- Ability to prepare effective written communications, utilizing correct grammar and spelling.
- Experience developing goals/objectives
- Demonstrated technology proficiency with various software applications.
- Strong organizational skills including an ability to multitask.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and to work on projects independently.
- An inquisitiveness and follow through to manage long-term relationships.
- Ability to work with diverse, non-traditional, and underserved student populations in a compassionate and structured manner.
- Demonstrated initiative in seeking new partners and opportunities for recruitment.
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to perform with diplomacy, confidentiality and professionalism.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and adapt to changing work processes, including moving from in-person to remote work and back, as necessitated by College policy or as requested by the supervisor
- Bilingual, English/Spanish
- Experience working in higher education admissions, enrollment or academic environment.
- Experience in a product or service sales role or organization.
- Experience professionally managing social media accounts, virtual experiences or communication plans.
- Ability to perform above primary duties.
- Minimal lifting (up to 40 lbs.) and reaching
- Operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as telephone, calculator, copy machine, and printer for extended periods of time
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one classroom or building location to another
- Ascending and descending stairs
- Ability to perform tasks both sitting and standing for extended periods of time
- Ability to function well in a standard office setting
- Medium/indoor work environment
Work Environment and Conditions
All the essential job functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and may change at the option of the (supervisor or department head). Any major change will result in the position being reviewed for reclassification.
Starting in 2022, all new employees of Bethel College must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have an approved exemption.