The Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts (BCAPA) was founded in 1996 when Bethel College, the Newton community and its neighbors acted on a need to provide increased opportunities for music instruction for students of all ages. The Academy of Music, including a Suzuki school for string instruction, opened its doors to 70 students. The name was changed to the Academy of Performing Arts when dance instruction was added in fall 2004.
BCAPA currently serves more than 250 students representing more than 200 families from Newton and the Wichita metropolitan area and Bethel and Hesston colleges. There are two locations for instruction: 123 E. Broadway in downtown Newton and the Bethel College Fine Arts Center (FAC).
The Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts (BCAPA) enhances the quality of life in Newton and surrounding communities through expert, dedicated education in music, dance and the expressive arts. Catalyzing lifelong learning, BCAPA empowers students of all ages and levels of experience to derive meaning from personal and cooperative artistic expression. BCAPA provides unique performance opportunities in a nurturing, community-focused environment.
View our schedule for more information on our summer classes in dance, Suzuki Strings, instrumental & vocal music, Kindermusik, visual art and Destination Imagination Creative camp for kids aged 3–6 years.
Live to Dance Summer Intensive (July 21–25)
This workshop is a week long challenging and gratifying dance experience offering a diverse range of classes for dancers who are dedicated to perfecting their technique. Classes are arranged into two technique levels:
- Level 1
- for beginning-intermediate through high-intermediate dancers (9 years & up with at least 2 years of ballet experience)
- Level 2
- for advanced dancers or intermediate dancers en pointe (12 years & up and are placed in advanced level or pointe classes) Some classes join both levels (please see schedule attached).
Students have the option of taking classes individually on a drop in basis, selecting certain classes or days to attend, or benefiting from the full week of dance. Live to Dance brings dance faculty from all over the region who are experts in their styles of dance.
Classes offered include:
- Jazz Dance for Musical Theater taught by Yannic Dozier
- Ballet Technique taught by Mara Klenda & Danika Bielek
- Pas de Deux (for male dancers at least 14 years of age & Level 2 female dancers) taught by Mara Klenda
- Ballet Variations (for male dancers under 14 years & Level 1 female dancers) taught by Danika Bielek
- Flamenco (Spanish dance) taught by Cherie Scillia
- Hip Hop taught by Yannic Dozier
- Pilates taught by Jeremy Blaine
- Contemporary Dance taught by Haylie Heatwhole
- Dunham Technique taught by Danika Bielek
- Kinesiology taught by Danika Bielek
|Adult classes open for drop-ins|
|July 21 & 23, 10–11:15 a.m.||Beginning Flamenco Dance & Song |
This is a chance to learn a little bit about this beautiful style of Spanish dance and song taught by Cherie Scillia. Two classes only $12 per class
|July 21, 6:30–7:30 p.m.||Pilates for Everyone Master Class |
This workout class gives the pure Pilates mat class taught by LA based certified Pilates instructor Jeremy Blaine. This is a one time only class. $10 per participant
|July 25, 2:45–3:45 p.m.||Tribal Fusion Belly Dance |
This basic level middle eastern style dance class honors its origins as being a celebration for women. Class is available for women only, 14 years and older. $10 per participant
Destination Imagination Creative Summer Camp for Kids
Children ages 3 to 6 years will have educational experiences in music, dance, visual art, theater, and many creative surprises.You bring your child, we provide the teacher, supplies, a snack and new creative activities each day. Camp creations will be displayed in an art opening party!
|Choose one of two weeks or both:|
|July 28–August 1:||Famous Creators||9 a.m.–noon|
|August 4–8:||Art Around the World||9 a.m.–noon|
$100 for 1 week and $180 for both weeks or for siblings.
*Please note: Bethel College students, faculty, and staff receives $3 off each class and $10 off of Destination Imagination for children and grandchildren! Please print this email off and bring it to register. All classes are held at Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts:tt 400 S. Main Street in Newton.
Call (316) 283-4902 to register or more information.
The Bethel College Academy of Performing Arts would like to give many thanks to the following generous individuals and foundations for making this academic year a success for our students:
- Anita Jones
- Steven & Sharon Cranston
- James & Jean Weber
- Christy Schunn-Sebes & Kevin Sebes
- Kermit & Virginia Iserhardt
- Traditional music lessons, most of which are taught at the Bethel College Fine Arts Center
- Department of Suzuki Strings (located at 123 E. Broadway)
- Dance education (located at 123 E. Broadway)
BCAPA Policies and Information
Registration & Tuition
All students must officially register for their lessons and/or classes before attending them by filling out a registration form and returning it to BCAPA. Registration is for the length of the semester, not on a month by month basis. Tuition payments may be made monthly or for the full semester. There is a $12.50 family registration fee per semester. Tuition scholarships and work study jobs are available based on financial need. Please contact Danika Bielek at (316) 283-4902 for more information.
All tuition is due at the beginning of the month before classes and lessons are given. If tuition is more than a month late, the student may be suspended from lessons or classes until payment or arrangements are made.
Tuition payments can be dropped off at the Academy at 123 E. Broadway or mailed to:
300 E. 27th St
North Newton, KS 67117
Credit card payments can be done over the phone.
We take cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover Card.
Withdrawing Lessons & Classes
A 30-day written notice is required for early withdrawal from music lessons and dance classes.
It is difficult to credit tuition if a student drops their lessons or classes. BCAPA adheres to the schedule below:
- Withdrawal before classes begin Full refund minus the registration fee
- Withdrawal up to two weeks of classes
- Withdrawal up to two months of classes
- Withdrawal after two months
- No refund unless withdrawal is a result of an extenuating circumstances such as bereavement, medical conditions, or moving out of the area.
If a group class is missed by the student, payment is still required to remain in the class. If an individual music lesson is missed by the student, it is at the instructor’s discretion whether to reschedule or not. It is BCAPA policy for students to give a 24 hour notice prior to missing a private lesson unless it is an emergency. If a dance class is missed, please discuss with your instructor for make up opportunities.