Experiential Learning in Communication Arts
Each year, students who graduate with degrees in communication arts complete a senior seminar, allowing them to conduct in-depth research on a topic of their choice. Some students choose to cast, direct and produce one-act plays. Others design academic projects tailored to their specific interests. Some recent projects have included:
- Deconstructing visual images of Jesus in popular culture
- Producing a promotional video for the college admissions department
- Coordinating a theater workshop for inmates at the Hutchinson Correctional Facility
- Analyzing the communication strategies of the “truth” anti-tobacco campaign
With the assistance of faculty and alumni, communication arts students in recent years have also obtained internships at the following:
- New York Film Academy at Universal Studios, Los Angeles
- Rhodes Film and Video, Newton
- KWCH-TV, Wichita
- CG Post, Inc., Wichita
- Steppenwolf Theatre, Chicago
- KTQW Channel 49, Wichita
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals
- Missoula (Mont.) Children’s Theater
- The Newton Kansan (daily newspaper)
- KJRG-FM, Newton
- The Hutchinson News (daily newspaper)
KBCU is our 150-watt student-operated radio station. Through KBCU, you’ll have opportunities in production, announcing, news reporting, sports casting, stations management and marketing.
The Collegian is our award-winning campus newspaper. The Collegian is consistently recognized by the Kansas Collegiate Press Association and the Associated Collegiate Press, from which it has frequently received First Class designation.
Housed in the basement of the Mennonite Library and Archives, the Radio-Television (RTV) Lab is an audio and video production and broadcast facility. The RTV Lab is the home of the Newton Channel (Cox cable channel 7). A number of hands-on opportunities are available to students, including facilitating the recording and production of Bethel athletic events, music performances, lectures and events.
The Bethel yearbook, The Thresher, is open to journalism students and anyone interested in layout design or photography experience.