- B.S. East Texas Baptist University 1996
- M.S. Central Missouri State University 2000
- Ph.D. Texas Tech University 2005
- B.S. – Biology Bates College 1979
- Ph.D. – Botany Washington State University 1984
Jon Piper has taught at Bethel College since 1997, with a focus on organismal and field biology. Prior to his tenure at Bethel, Jon was a research associate for 12 years at The Land Institute in Salina, Kansas. In addition to his varied on-campus course offerings, Jon has led a January term tropical biology course in Costa Rica since 2000. In summers, he and student collaborators conduct research in prairie ecology and woodland restoration. Jon has spoken and written extensively in the areas of environmental protection and restoration. His more than 40 publications include the Island Press book Farming in Nature’s Image. Non-academic interests are international cuisine, acoustic music, and long walks on the beach.